Ads 468x60px

Mar 1, 2013

10 Days of Financial Wisdom: DAY 3

Save Today, Secure Tomorrow  
"Wise people save money. It's a basic, crystal-clear biblical principle. And if you spend every dime that passes through your fingers, then guess what? You're a fool! Don't blame me - God said it!"

Ouch! The bold words of Dave Ramsey ring in my ears and my total embarrassment overwhelms me. Today was powerful. I'm reading things I've already heard but taking them to heart is what I am striving towards. For the longest time I felt like there were many issues in my heart/life, things from my past and present to deal with. Strongholds to release to God and money (figuring it out) was just the last thing on my long list of Lord please fix this to-dos. I've struggled with this idea; what problem to let God fix first or should it all be tackled at once. But now time is passing quickly. My kids are growing and I feel the spirit speaking to me saying-this things a biggie DO NOT brush it off anymore!!!

This weeks key verse from Proverbs 21:20 which says There are precious treasures and oil in the dwelling of the wise, but a self-confident and foolish man swallows it up and wastes it.

I've never gone through something as extreme as bankruptcy however I am the unwise 20s something Dave Ramsey talks about that doesn't even have the sense to save as soon as you're paid.  Sadly I admit that going to a store to just buy diapers turns into and outfit for a kid, a new top I like, some junky thing I don't need from the dollar section that turns into $8.00 plus the diapers I intended to buy. Okay, enough about me now it's time to take the advice of others much wiser than myself.

Three Key Points:
  1. Learn the habits of the wealthy. Dave Ramsey says wise people have enough money because they save for emergencies. Do I want to be wealthy? No, but I do want to be debt free and to have the ability to give freely. One of my love languages is Gift-giving. I do enjoy giving gifts but in the past I would use a credit card to buy a gift. That cannot happen anymore.
  2. Save and use the power of compound interest to build wealth. The list of things to save for is long, so long in fact that I think, 'there's no way we can save enough for any of this. We (I) should've been saving when I was in high school.' Of course that's not possible, but you have to start somewhere and I firmly believe (and have seen it played in action) that God stretches dollars in ways we can never imagine. Also, when used wisely interest can work well in the right direction;)
  3. Give to God first, save second. This is not one of wait and see things where if we can get to a comfortable place then we might start tithing. Nope, God's money is not my money.
Final Thought:
As a young adult I know it's very easy to want nice things. But ladies, instead of pursuing all the things a women's magazine tells us to focus on use your energy instead to pursue the qualities God admires. 

To follow along with YouVersion: Dave Ramsey's Financial Wisdom from Proverbs follow this link:
YouVersion

Grace to You,
Jenna  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

 

A Mother's Prayer

Lord bless my home and anyone who enters. Lead me daily so that I am always aware of You! Whether educating my kids, cooking or cleaning may my attitude always be that of a servant. Give me the words to guide my children to You, to know You, Your character and love You, Lord. Please teach to have patience and to always be learning. Lord mold me through each stage of life so I am continually growing and pursuing You no matter what. Lord I want to be a great mom and wife and I know that if I look only to You for help that I can accomplish this, the love for my family that I desire to show them. Lord I'm amazed by You and I love You. Amen.

Full of Life, Full of Love

"The spirited child-often called "difficult" or "strong-willed"--possesses traits we value in adults yet find challenging in children. Research shows that spirited kids are wired to be "more"-by temperament, they are more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and uncomfortable with change than the average child." It seems as though we have three, and they are very much like me. What does this mean? I need to be compassionate, consistent, confident, controlled, all with a gentle yet firm approach. Yes my plate is full.

Motherhood: A rigorous training ground

What an awesome responsibility mothers have to their children. Cultural stereotypes promote the idea that giving birth miraculously endows women with kindness, compassion, and goodness. But we all know better. Many of us can witness that we are made more aware of our weaknesses and impatience after becoming mothers than we were before. Godliness and generosity are not prerequisites of giving birth; they are characteristics that God hones and whittles into our character over time. Motherhood provides a rigorous training ground where we can display practice and model the disciplines of love, honesty, and compassion before our children. --Rebecca Laird