Ads 468x60px

Apr 14, 2012

S is for Snowflake Week

Building 3d snowflakes!
Even though its spring we actually got a few days of light snow coincidentally this week when going over the letter S with my Little Engineer Pre-K son. He's following the Letter of the Week Curriculum from Confessions of a Homeschooler. But because I've already posted many pictures of the activities I thought I'd show off some of the extra curricular activities.

Activity 1: Making 3D Snowflakes!


Supplies:
  • 2 different colors of construction paper
  • scissors
  • Elmer's glue
  • hole punch
  • string
Step 1:
Start by folding a 8.5x11 piece of construction paper into a square then cut off the remainder paper on fold crease.



Step 2: Fold the square piece of construction paper in 4 equal sized pieces. So out of the original 8.5x11 sheet you should have 4 small squares. Repeat steps one and two to end up with 6 small squares total. Take one piece and fold diagonally, then again along the diagonal crease.



Step 3: Cut 3 lines from bottom to top point approximately 1 cm apart. Make sure to not cut all the way through! Repeat with all 6 squares.




Step 4: Carefully unfold cut triangles then attach middle cuts with glue.

Hold down for 5 seconds .
Cuts should not go through the main center crease.
Attach the 2 center pieces with glue.
 Step 5: Flip over and glue second row together with same method then repeat gluing and flipping until all rows are glued together. This is one a six pieces needed to complete 3D snowflake.

Flip after row 1
Glue Row 3 then flip again
Glue row 2 then flip again
Junior gluing row 4
Little Engineer gluing row 2            
A large version completed




Step 6: Repeat step 5 six times to create six 3D flakes, then attach all six together by gluing then from one point.


Use hole puncture and attach string. Hang in classroom and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd24LcZ0iAs
Other things we did this week included: Size sorting, pre-writing practice, letter tile matching, S is for stamps worksheet, snowman lacing cards, S magnets game, pattern page, Ss Dot-A-Dot, Letter Hunt worksheet, color matching worksheet, read the story of Samson (my son has a small obsession with being strong), snowflake gluing with Epsom salts, counting cards, paint bag S writing, Ss tracing, Ss poke page, the letter S Scavenger Hunt.
AND last but not least, the kids enjoyed a sing-a-long with Nana on Easter Sunday with Frosty the Snowman. (At the bottom) http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/letter-of-the-week







Read the story of Samson everyday























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

 

A Mother's Prayer

Lord bless my home and anyone who enters. Lead me daily so that I am always aware of You! Whether educating my kids, cooking or cleaning may my attitude always be that of a servant. Give me the words to guide my children to You, to know You, Your character and love You, Lord. Please teach to have patience and to always be learning. Lord mold me through each stage of life so I am continually growing and pursuing You no matter what. Lord I want to be a great mom and wife and I know that if I look only to You for help that I can accomplish this, the love for my family that I desire to show them. Lord I'm amazed by You and I love You. Amen.

Full of Life, Full of Love

"The spirited child-often called "difficult" or "strong-willed"--possesses traits we value in adults yet find challenging in children. Research shows that spirited kids are wired to be "more"-by temperament, they are more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and uncomfortable with change than the average child." It seems as though we have three, and they are very much like me. What does this mean? I need to be compassionate, consistent, confident, controlled, all with a gentle yet firm approach. Yes my plate is full.

Motherhood: A rigorous training ground

What an awesome responsibility mothers have to their children. Cultural stereotypes promote the idea that giving birth miraculously endows women with kindness, compassion, and goodness. But we all know better. Many of us can witness that we are made more aware of our weaknesses and impatience after becoming mothers than we were before. Godliness and generosity are not prerequisites of giving birth; they are characteristics that God hones and whittles into our character over time. Motherhood provides a rigorous training ground where we can display practice and model the disciplines of love, honesty, and compassion before our children. --Rebecca Laird