Ads 468x60px

Mar 4, 2013

10 Day of Financial Wisdom: DAY 4

Slaves to Debt

"After nearly three decades of talking to people about money, I've figured something out. If you tell a lie loud enough and long enough, people will begin to believe it's true. Even if they know in their hearts that the myth is complete bunk, they'll live as if it's real.

These days, there's a big myth that's fooling a lot of people. It's the myth that debt is an effective part of their financial plan. Credit has been marketed to us so effectively that most people think they can't live without it. They think it's a good thing, a necessary thing. And they think anyone who lives without debt must be crazy!

Well, I've been called crazy before, and I'm okay with that. When it comes to debt, I don't want to be normal. And I'm in pretty good company because King Solomon - who knew a lot about money and wealth - felt the same way.

In Proverbs 22:7, he was adamant about avoiding debt. Why? Because he understood what so many people today totally miss: Debt enslaves us!

The Bible says that the borrower is slave to the lender. That's pretty strong language, but it's totally on target. Think about it. A slave can't give because he doesn't have anything. He can't go where he wants to go or do what he wants to do because he always has a master calling the shots. That's exactly how it feels when you're up to your eyeballs in debt. Hey, why do you think they call it MasterCard?

Solomon knew what he was talking about. This guy was the wisest man who ever lived! He didn't use the word “slave" by accident, and he wasn't being overly dramatic. He was just showing us what debt really is: a cruel master."
By: Dave Ramsey

I am really enjoying the positive affirmation this study is bringing me. If you'd like to follow along with this 5-minutes per day study go to YouVersion. Create a free username and password. YouVersion is an app for you smart phone, tablet or computer.

Here are just a few of the new Reading Plans you might want to try:
To check out all of YouVersion’s newest plans, visit the main Reading Plans page at Bible.com or look in the "New" category inside the Bible App.

I hope, like me, you're gaining little tidbits of information and advice that's helpful to your life.

Jenna
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

 

A Mother's Prayer

Lord bless my home and anyone who enters. Lead me daily so that I am always aware of You! Whether educating my kids, cooking or cleaning may my attitude always be that of a servant. Give me the words to guide my children to You, to know You, Your character and love You, Lord. Please teach to have patience and to always be learning. Lord mold me through each stage of life so I am continually growing and pursuing You no matter what. Lord I want to be a great mom and wife and I know that if I look only to You for help that I can accomplish this, the love for my family that I desire to show them. Lord I'm amazed by You and I love You. Amen.

Full of Life, Full of Love

"The spirited child-often called "difficult" or "strong-willed"--possesses traits we value in adults yet find challenging in children. Research shows that spirited kids are wired to be "more"-by temperament, they are more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and uncomfortable with change than the average child." It seems as though we have three, and they are very much like me. What does this mean? I need to be compassionate, consistent, confident, controlled, all with a gentle yet firm approach. Yes my plate is full.

Motherhood: A rigorous training ground

What an awesome responsibility mothers have to their children. Cultural stereotypes promote the idea that giving birth miraculously endows women with kindness, compassion, and goodness. But we all know better. Many of us can witness that we are made more aware of our weaknesses and impatience after becoming mothers than we were before. Godliness and generosity are not prerequisites of giving birth; they are characteristics that God hones and whittles into our character over time. Motherhood provides a rigorous training ground where we can display practice and model the disciplines of love, honesty, and compassion before our children. --Rebecca Laird