Ads 468x60px

Jan 14, 2013

The Water Cycle: The Properties of Water

When the word 'SCIENCE' is mentioned in my house all the little ears perk up just as if I said the word 'cookies.' For our third unit (weeks 18-21) of First Grade Science we will be studying the Water Cycle. Its a four week unit consisting in studies of The Properties of Water (week1), Making Salt Water (week 2) Movement of Air (week 3), Reading A Thermometer (week 4). Each week is broken into three parts: a pre-lab, lab, post-lab.
from msnucleus.org
Today's post is just about week 1: The Properties of Water Pre-Lab

Objectives:
  • Investigating the water cycle 
  • Exploring water's three states of matter
Vocabulary
  • evaporation
  • gas
  • liquid
  • precipitation
  • solid
  • water cycle   
Materials:
The hydrologic or water cycle is a major driving force on Earth. Water is important to our everyday lives. First grades see water all around them, but many do not realize its importance. Ask students if we can survive without food or water longer. They are usually amazed that humans can survive without food much longer than water. Humans can only last about three days without water. At that time our kidneys will no longer function, and we will not be able to get rid of the wastes that accumulate in our bodies. Our bodies require fresh clean water to survive. Polluted or salty water will not help our bodies-God made us this way!

Water circulates in the atmosphere through the water cycle. The water on Earth evaporates (or becomes gas) into a cloud. When the conditions are right, the cloud releases water or precipitation.

Procedure:
1. Discuss the different components of the water cycle by having students sing-along to Drippy the Hippie  
Ok I know, I know this is really chessy, but who cares if your kids learn something and it does not 
disagree from Biblical teaching, even if it's granola ;)

2. Make copies of the worksheets for your students. Color the worksheet and cut out the pieces. 
   
 3. Have students use the pieces they cut out to make the water cycle. Then go over the components of the water cycle with the students slowly. Evaporation from water forms clouds and then precipitates.

Review by asking a few questions:
  • What is evaporation?
  • Is evaporation a gas? 
  • Name a form of precipitation? hail, snow, rain, or sleet
  • Can we drink water from water puddles in the street? Why not?
  • Is water that falls from the sky clean?   
  • Explain the water cycle to me.
All of this and more units can be found at msnucleus.orghttp://www.msnucleus.org/membership/index.html

Follow along for tomorrow's post on the lab on Water Cycle!
 Jenna   
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

 

A Mother's Prayer

Lord bless my home and anyone who enters. Lead me daily so that I am always aware of You! Whether educating my kids, cooking or cleaning may my attitude always be that of a servant. Give me the words to guide my children to You, to know You, Your character and love You, Lord. Please teach to have patience and to always be learning. Lord mold me through each stage of life so I am continually growing and pursuing You no matter what. Lord I want to be a great mom and wife and I know that if I look only to You for help that I can accomplish this, the love for my family that I desire to show them. Lord I'm amazed by You and I love You. Amen.

Full of Life, Full of Love

"The spirited child-often called "difficult" or "strong-willed"--possesses traits we value in adults yet find challenging in children. Research shows that spirited kids are wired to be "more"-by temperament, they are more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and uncomfortable with change than the average child." It seems as though we have three, and they are very much like me. What does this mean? I need to be compassionate, consistent, confident, controlled, all with a gentle yet firm approach. Yes my plate is full.

Motherhood: A rigorous training ground

What an awesome responsibility mothers have to their children. Cultural stereotypes promote the idea that giving birth miraculously endows women with kindness, compassion, and goodness. But we all know better. Many of us can witness that we are made more aware of our weaknesses and impatience after becoming mothers than we were before. Godliness and generosity are not prerequisites of giving birth; they are characteristics that God hones and whittles into our character over time. Motherhood provides a rigorous training ground where we can display practice and model the disciplines of love, honesty, and compassion before our children. --Rebecca Laird